Sentimental Sunday Grandpa's Dilly Bars

Sunday, June 13, 2010

For Sentimental Sunday I thought of a very fond memory. Saturday night was always a special night for my Grandpa Davis. He would travel from Ruthven, Iowa in to the larger town of Spencer to get a sack full of Dilly Bars from the Dairy Queen. Then he would bring them back for all the kids who waited excitingly at his house with Grandma, Aunts and Uncles. Usually this consisted of quite a few cousins.

I can remember the sack. It was really thick to keep the cold in. The sack went from one person to another as they selected their treat. I was so happy when there were enough Dilly Bars so that I could have one too! It made me feel special. Everyone paused to eat their favorite flavored Dilly Bar as Grandpa happily watched. Of course he bought enough for the adults to have one, him included!

My Grandpa on my maternal side was Stuart Donald Davis. He owned a junk yard which I will tell you about some day. I loved him very much.

1 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

Ice cream lover and junk yard owner - what an awesome grandpa!