Super Sister Sunday - The Lyon Sisters

Sunday, August 22, 2010



Nancy, Mary, Susan and Sandy


Today I write about my sisters and me. This picture was taken right before we headed overseas to live in Indonesia for two years. It was taken in Des Moines, Iowa in 1962.

We did not know what to expect going overseas. The only thing I could think of was men with beige shorts and shirts and a helmet! I must have seen pictures of guys like this. Happily that was not the case. Of course on our mind also were snakes and weird bugs. I can remember our passport photo was taken with our mother, Marjorie (Davis) Lyon so for the five of us we only had one passport.

Sometimes us kids would have matching outfits, but most of the time not.

I can remember the touchdown in Djakarta, Indonesia was a terrible landing. The plane totally bounced, which released all the oxygen masks. It probably did at least three big bounces before all wheels were on the ground. Since then, I have had a phobia about flying. We could not believe all the kids and people behind the fences looking at us as we walked by to go to customs. This was the first of many looks and stares during our time in Indonesia.

What an experience!

My sisters are super!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful story/memory! Why were you in Indonesia? The picture is just charming.

mjhellman said...

We were in Indonesia because my parents were missionarys there. It was quite the experience for sure.

Barbara Poole said...

I love the photo of your sisters and the fact that two of you had the same dress.
What an experience / education for you to have been in Indonesia.